Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Kid's book kerfuffle

Well it took four and a half years but I had someone within the library who felt that a book I had placed in the children's or juvenile collection was inappropriate and then questioned its placement. I think that I am most disappointed that they didn't discuss their concerns with me directly. I found out from the individual who would have needed to change the location in the record, who properly contacted me when approached with the concern.

Now our children's collection is labelled a juvenile collection but this is an academic library and all my materials from board books up to young adult are located in the "juvenile collection". Perhaps it is the name of the book that caused the concern, The Book of Bunny Suicides

The humour is dark, and more than a little twisted, but does that automatically make material adult? Teenagers are exposed to more graphic representations of death everyday through television and film. When do we expose children to humour that represents the darker aspects of life? Having had a close family member kill themselves, I am aware that the word "suicide" holds alot of emotional impact. Not to mention that such things are not discussed in polite company. When do we trust our children and teenagers to determine what is "appropriate" for them to read?

Having checked several library catalogs (thanks Worldcat) the book has been treated in several ways. Some public libraries chose to place the book in the non-fiction section, which is where controversial children's titles go to never be found. Others like Fort Worth Public Library have placed their copies in their Teen or young adult sections.

I am comfortable with keeping the book in the Juvenile collection and I appreciate the professionalism of my colleagues. Looking at the book website I see that there is a sequel, now where would I find the ISBN?

1 Comments:

At 11:14 AM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

This is a complex situation on which to comment. One question comes to mind almost immediately: "Who is responsible for parenting children?" The "system"? The educational institute? The adult(s) legally assigned responsibility? How can someone else decide what is appropriate and accessible for children for whom I am responsible? It is hard to remember that this is the “… land of the free”. On the other hand … which is, no doubt, why we were given two hands … some stuff is just doesn’t warrant protection, preservation, or promotion. The big question is “Who is to say?”.

As far as the suicide thing goes it is a no win situation for EVERYONE … if you don’t talk about it, it is a festering secret and you obviously have issues … if you do talk about it, you have not accepted the situation and you obviously have issues. Doesn’t much matter which way it goes, survivors are always left “holding the bag”.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home