Thursday, April 06, 2006

American Health Care - student style

It started out as a beautiful morning. I was very much enjoying sitting with Ranger's kitty Annika eating an orange. Work was calling so I packed up my bag, pet the kitty one last time, and walked out the door. Suddenly I felt my ankle turn, which led to my ungraceful landing on her front step. A curious mailman looked like he might walk over but I think my cursing sent him away. Crying, cursing, women apparently are not his cup of tea.

I must be honest, this wouldn't be the first time I turned my ankle and sat swearing on a curb, front step, or convenient rock. On my trip to New Zealand I successfully navigated a glacial field with no problem but twisted my ankle in the restaurant where we had lunch. Walking is apparently a dangerous activity for me.

Living in the land of for profit healthcare I have a few options to have my ankle checked. Hospital emergency room, indigent drop-in clinics, or our campus health clinic. Loathing the idea of waiting in an emergency room (holdover from Canada) and not being indigent, I decided I would make use of the student health clinic.

Quite the eye opener. I am used to my primary healthcare site and much more handholding (holdover from Canada again), than I received here. While the staff were pleasant enough I was asked to climb up on the table without the use of a stool or better yet a small ladder. This can be challenging enough able bodied but I was stumped by the request. The nurse turned around and asked me what I was there for and I said, "I twisted my ankle and I can barely walk". It was only then that she seemed to realize the problem. I was asked to walk to x-ray where I got to listen to a racist, misogynistic, rant from the technician. The x-ray machine itself looked like it had been obtained from a Nicaraguan hospital during the Somoza regime.

One of my coworkers who earned a degree or two from MPOW, has called this clinic, the "Voodoo Hut." I always thought that was a little harsh but now....

4 Comments:

At 10:45 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So.... you OK, or what? Sorry to hear about the injury and on the upside, you actually were able to see someone about it in the same week the injury occured. Seriously, I'm sorry you are hurt and I hope you can ice it an elevate it.

 
At 6:12 AM CDT, Blogger paksenn said...

Long story short. Just a sprain, was treated like an invalid at work. Only true injury to my pride and my bank account.

 
At 4:38 PM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

Well look at it this way...at least you won't be "jumping" to any conclusions any time soon. Some days that is all the exercise I get.

 
At 5:01 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well look at it this way...at least you won't be "jumping" to any conclusions any time soon. Some days that is all the exercise I get.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home