Friday, March 24, 2006

Urban snobs

I have been experiencing some interesting reactions to my impending move to a suburb of Houston. Several friends have expressed concern about the increased commuting time and the distance between the erstwhile suburb and everything else that matters. I agree that it might be less likely that I will be available for a last minute social engagement but is that really the problem?

A city the size of Houston offers many diversions and opportunities to explore cultural centers such as museums, art galleries, and the like. Have I done so? Not so much. My point to these concerned individuals would be this. Maybe by moving further away I will learn to appreciate these resources more and will not take them for granted as I have done previously. Canadians are accustomed to driving long distances to get to anything so I feel that I have sufficient experience to judge what would or would not be worth the drive in.

1 Comments:

At 1:39 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, Canadians are use to "driving long distances", the key word there being "driving". Limit experience of Houston area road system ... driving? Nah, sitting for periods of indeterminate time followed by frenzied, competitive attempts to fill any existing gaps, preferably with a vehicular behemoth is a more apt description of a Houston commute.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home