Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Faith renewed

This past weekend I headed out to Las Vegas planning to enjoy myself and taking some time to just relax. Unfortunately, someone decided that my wallet looked far too lonely in my bag and took it away for some bonding time. This is course happened at the airport after the security checkpoints but before getting on a plane. Meaning I have no way of remembering or running home to get all of those pesky credit card/debit card numbers and other miscellaneous forms of plastic. So armed with a cell phone and borrowed pen I set out to salvage the weekend.

First helpful person that I encountered was the gate agent who urged me to not give up my seat until the very last minute just in case I resolved my bank stuff in time. He was later responsible for getting me a standbye seat for a not much later flight. Thank you anonymous gate agent I wish that I had gotten your name to commend you to your supervisors.

Second helpful person was an extraordinarily patient woman at Capital One Bank. I know that all their advertising can get a tad annoying but they went above and beyond for me. Knowing that I wouldn't be able to go at all if I didn't have some form of credit card I asked if they would send an emergency replacement card to my hotel in Las Vegas. They said yes it would be there the next day! I was shocked but very pleased.

Third helpful person was the husband of my husband and wife seatmates on my standby flight. He talked to me so sweetly and was so generous of heart that he nearly made my cry. Upon parting at the airport he insisted on ensuring that my luggage was there from the earlier flight. He also pressed his business card on me and told me to call him if I needed anything. He apparently also has the perfect guy for me so I will be calling you Ben.

Last but definitely not least, was my friend Richard who was getting married the next day. He paid for a cab from the airport to the Moroccan restaurant where he was having dinner. He also ensured that I was fed and secured my hotel room with his credit card until my emergency Visa arrived. I am so glad that I was able to attend your wedding after all and I hope that you are still enjoying your honeymoon.

I know that its a corny saying but crisis does bring out the best in most people. Even though I was thinking hurtful things about whomever stole my wallet it was the small kindnesses of others that took away the sting. From the bus driver in Vegas who let me on even though I was fifty cents short to those who made sure that I had rides to and from wedding events, I give thanks.

1 Comments:

At 9:55 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interestingly, sometimes there seems to "need" to be "evil" so that the good and generous in people has the opportunity to come to the fore.

Remember kiddo (although I know I don't have to tell YOU this!) ... pay it forward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home