Sunday, September 17, 2006

Home, Home on the Range

Hallelujah, I have signed a lease on a townhome and I have somewhere to live come October. The townhome is a one story, two bedroom, two bathroom, 1100 sf place that is reasonably close to work. I am feeling immense relief and a little buyer's remorse. Signing a one year lease means that at the very least I won't be getting a reference if I flee back to Canada before it officially ends. Not that I am a dishonest person but when I first applied for credit in the United States I was told that I couldn't be given credit because a) I could run across the border and my debt couldn't be collected or b) as a non-resident alien I didn't meet residency requirements.

One clothing store L*** Br**** went as far to say that my social security number didn't exist. Now that I have credit I really wonder about the logic of these justifications. Canada is really far away from Texas so maybe they were referring to the Mexican border. If I didn't meet residency requirements why do I have to pay income tax, social security, and into the Medicare system? Sigh, it does seem that being a law abiding (that ticket didn't count), tax paying, non-resident resident certainly doesn't win you any perks in this society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home