Sunday, September 17, 2006

Special place in Hell

I am frequently asked to house/pet sit for various people. I enjoy helping others out and quite often I bond with the animals that I am babysitting. Ergo my instrinsic motivation is spending (borrowed) time with other people's animals. Sometimes I get paid to do so and sometimes I don't. It depends on the situation and what is being requested of me. Being in a somewhat precarious housing situation I said yes to a colleague without asking many questions. What was to be a simple two week assignment has turned into a nightmare. I feel like I am working in a vet's office and I have developed a set of tools for cleaning up after four incontinent, inappropriately trained animals.

One older cat unable to find the litter box I can understand but when all the animals have taken to using whatever floor surface is convenient I question the statement "oh, its only the one cat who uses the newspaper." I just last night saw (for the first time in a week) the newest house member who immediately sprinted off to hide under the bed. There is absolutely no way I am checking under that bed to see what the condition is there. I am still composing in my head what response I will have for my colleague upon their return. Maybe I will say nothing, hand over the key, collect the rest of my money, and smile sweetly. For truly there must be a place in hell for irresponsible pet owners who mislead others who are doing them a favour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home