Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Can Aggression be Healthy?

Two points today.

First, we had our 3rd Annual Librarian vs. Student softball game last Saturday. The librarians won with a little assistance from our Dean/Umpire. I had never heard of tick(tip?) balls until she was calling the shots. I just thought they were strikes. Much to my amazement and the amazement of others I actually hit the ball out of the infield and made it to first base.

I have to believe that some of our students and staff take this opportunity to work out some of the repressed feelings they have. At least one librarian has been injured this year and last year there was a rather ungraceful leap by myself to avoid being run down. I think that it is easier to see people as individuals in a sports setting but old resentments burn underneath.

Second, I just finished taking a online defensive driving course that wasn't too painful. It focused on changing your attitudes about driving. Every day I watch drivers bevaving very, very, badly. It is difficult to just "let it go" when someone cuts you off at 70 miles an hour because they haven't been paying attention, are talking on their cell phone, or styling their hair (actually happened, hair spray and all). However, I have recently moved and my commute time has tripled so I have two choices. Join the overly aggressive mass of cars driving like they are late for a liver transplant or move over to the right and let them flow past.

I have tried over the past few days to drive slower and to resist becoming anxious about how long my drive is taking. Miracle of miracles I am starting to remember the joy of driving a vehicle and the empowerment that comes from being able to do so. My plan is to continue thinking less about how much time the drive is taking and to just enjoy the drive.

Things could be different next week.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

I do so want to comment on this and will later as time permits. Unfortunately I am up to my elbows in books - I'm sure you understand ... and by the way sweetie ... enjoy yourself, ALL of this will be yours some day...and, as an aside, I found a first edition novel printed in 1910 hhhmmmm something older than me (and possibly more valuable).

 
At 11:18 AM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

No doubt aggression is part of our biologically driven history – i.e. “hard wired”. Having said that, we've spent the last "few" and I say "few" in terms of evolution, trying to move away from mindless aggression and actually become more than creatures with opposable thumbs – especially since we are not unique in THAT department.

Driving … well you know that is one of my very favourite things to do. However, lately I have viewed it as the greatest challenge I face in terms of resisting peer pressure, ESPECIALLY since the 30mph/50k zone has been extended to Crowchild trail on Glenmore. Try it, just try being your “own” person and obeying or nearly obeying the speed limits are recommended; it is a true test of strength of character!

Soooooo ….. were these comments worth the wait? Is it time for you to post again?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home