Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Death and friendship

I spent last weekend with my friend, C, from work. This is the third year in a row that we have attended a four day bluegrass festival at a campground just south of Austin, Texas. He had invited two other female types along as well and for the most part we all got along. Both C and his friend were dealing with difficult health news about family members. As a result there was a lot of talking and a few tears. Being outside of this nexus of pain was frustrating and a little confusing. What can you say to someone who is frightened of losing someone they love? There are no words to ease their pain and "I"m sorry" is so meaningless. This is amplified when there are two individuals wrapped up in these feelings in close quarters. I hope that by talking and by just being around I helped somewhat.

7 Comments:

At 6:12 PM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

Grief and grieving are always tough to deal with and I'm sure your heart felt sympathy was helpful. The words "I'm sorry" have no meaning in and of themselves but the good will and caring that propel them along have infinite value and healing. Sometimes the best thing we can do is simply be willing to be with someone in pain, recognizing we can offer no solutions, only support and acceptance.

 
At 6:58 PM CDT, Blogger Pixie the dog said...

Or you can just say "hey, wanna beer?" Works for me.

 
At 9:33 PM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

...especially if you weren't listening to what they were saying.

 
At 5:59 PM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

I can only assume that you are too, too busy and not among the unliving ... to which I should attribute your lack of blog activity. For heaven's sake girl! You were one of the ones who got me started on this stuff!

 
At 12:03 PM CDT, Blogger paksenn said...

My computer is still sitting in a box at the house. My only computer time is at work and appropriately I am using it for work. I will be back up soon. Go to the beach wench.

 
At 1:47 PM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

LOL, you are just trying to get me all contaminated ... .did I mention 48 million gallons of raw sewage in the Ali Wai and thence spread along the Waikiki beaches?

 
At 5:20 PM CDT, Blogger pingcat said...

Will you get on with another post already! This one is depressing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home