Friday, April 20, 2007

Travel = Food




I don't know about other people but when I travel I like to try local cuisine. Sometimes this includes fast food from different cultures. My brother and sister-in-law were craving Subway when we hit a mall in Singapore but I just couldn't bring myself to eat there. Across the way there was a restaurant called Mos Burger. Intrigued I wandered over and stared at their menu board trying to interpret the difference between a Takumi Burger and a Spicy Cheeseburger. The helpful lady at the counter pointed at a picture menu that told me what the burgers were. Each burger had an animal icon for the meat choice. I ordered a riceburger thinking that it would be similar to a veggie burger here in North America conveniently ignoring the Chicken icon next to it.

They custom make the burgers for you so the process took a little longer than Subway and by the time I returned to our table with my order my family was pretty much finished. I unwrapped my burger and I was suprised by the rice patties that formed the bun part of the burger. A chicken patty and some teriyaki sauce completed the sandwich. I don't know if these "buns" are completely gluten free but I was impressed with the idea of using rice this way. The rice burger was delicious and it is with great sadness that I find they don't have franchises here in the States.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home