Monday, January 15, 2007

Motivation



I am a horrible procrastinator. I have a hard time chastising students who are doing research the day before their papers are due because I have been there. In the library, the night before, trying to find anything that could possibly be useful. Graduate school forced me to alter my modus operandi at least a little bit. Lately I have been realizing that I have transferred my poor study habits to my exercise habits. Next week, next month, I keep promising myself I will get serious.

So reflecting on previous periods of regular exercise I realized that I am extrinsically motivated when it comes to exerting myself. Three years ago I participated in a 5K in San Antonio and I was exercising at least 4-5 times a week preparing. Two years ago I participated in the Houston Rodeo Run and yes I picked up my exercise schedule to prepare. So brilliant researcher I am, I found some local 5K runs over the next couple of months and selected one to enter. On March 3, I will be participating in the Spring Fever 5K Fun/Run Walk in the Woodlands, Texas. Hopefully this will provide me with some motivation to pick up a healthier workout routine. I will beat my 39 minute record yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home